A car accident lawyer is something that most of us have to hire at one or the other point in time. The process of hiring a good car accident lawyer is not all about looking for some top guns but about selecting the suitable candidates who serve your needs. One also needs to know the work that the lawyer should be doing for you, the way he should be leading the case and only then one can enter into a fair agreement for representation with the lawyer. This article deals with certain useful tips that one should always keep in mind before hiring a car accident lawyer.
Finding a good car lawyer is not as easy as it sounds but it’s neither too difficult. Given below are some suggestions which can be of great help for a person in finding himself a good car accident lawyer that is most suitable for the case:
1. Past records: If you know a lawyer who deals with car accident cases and/or has served you well in any of your previous legal implications in the past, you must consider him after duly confirming his experience and ability to lead car accident cases, this being a very specific area of work. Recommendations can also be taken from your friends, from the legal background and also from even your lawyer, in case he does not deal with the car accident cases. This is a way of getting an “insider referral” as lawyers are generally aware of all the local lawyers and their expertise in all the major aspects of the law.
2. Referrals: If a friend, relative or a known has ever hired a car accident lawyer and you know the person, going to him and asking about his experience, not only about the lawyer but also about the case proceedings, would also help a lot. In case a lawyer is recommended in an extremely positive manner, considering him is not a bad option at all.
3. Internet: World Wide Web has made everything a click away, within the reach of everybody. Though local consultation would never lose its relevance and keep on topping the charts in any case study.
4. Comparison Criteria: Once you have shortlisted a few of them, do your research by going through their profiles, past records and their website, if any. After you are convinced that you can seriously think about hiring a particular lawyer, you can set a telephonic call appointment with him and then after analyzing the initial conversation, you can go and meet him and discuss the case in detail. Make sure that you are convinced with whatever he says and you are not charged for the initial consultation before you hire him. Still, to give you a fair idea of how to execute the process, a list of information is given in the below given paragraph that you can extract out of the lawyer to be sure of your decision of hiring him.
You should inquire the lawyer on his success rate in general and especially about the car accident cases. The lawyer should also inform you about the car accident cases that he has handed until now and should share if he has specifically handled a case like yours.
You should also discuss your case in detail with him giving you an idea of his grasp on the subject and this discussion will also give you an insight on the subject that you can use while dealing with other lawyers.
You should also request him to give you some kind of assurance on the claim that he will negotiate on your behalf and the period required for the same. Even if you are convinced with all his answers and information, fee plays the most important role in anything. Inquire him on the fee agreement as well and try to negotiate a deal according to your particular case. You should be sure about the mode of his payment, whether it is in hard money or some percentage of your claim and also about all the charges involved in the process and any miscellaneous charges that may be included afterwards.
Last but not the least; you have to be clear on the penalties you will have to bear in case you fire him because of un-satisfactory services.
After meeting all the selected options, you can now hire the best option available. Considering the overall feel after the meeting, his experience in the said case, his success ratio, his understanding and pay scale, you can make a decision that serves you best. Of all the factors, fee remains a major issue. Generally lawyers propose you to deal with your case on a contingent fee basis where you pay a certain percentage of your recovery to them. While contingent fee agreements seem similar, there are striking and important differences between them that vary from lawyer to lawyer that you should always consider.
Concluding tips on hiring a Car Accident Lawyer:
- Hire the lawyer within 15 days of your injury, giving him more time to investigate and to help you make important initial decisions that can make a major impact on your case.
- Though most of these cases are handled on a contingent fee basis, yet you can consider hiring the lawyer on an hourly fee basis if the case is very valuable; no liability issues are there.
- The better your case, the more you can negotiate your terms and conditions. If your case will probably resolve for say $300,000, you are bound to receive a different treatment than if you have a case that will probably resolve for $5,000. Also, keep this in mind always that you are the payer and hence have the upper hand to question the proceedings. In any case if you are not satisfied with the current lawyer, get rid of him and hire a new one.