Mobile Device Boom May Lead To Shortage Of IP Addresses in US

by on September 30, 2010

A telecommunication administrator stated that by the end of the next year, mobile device boom will lead to shortage in the U.S. internet addresses. IPv4, which is also referred to Internet Protocol version 4, is the main architecture of the Internet.

Though it requires an IP address as an identifier, it doesn’t contain adequate capacity for more than 4.3 billion of IP addresses.

Apple’s iPad and Research in Motion’s BlackBerry, which are known as the latest developed versions of mobile devices, along with the growth of the internet services that is provided for homes have already used all the available IP addresses.

IPv6, the recently upgraded main communication internet protocol, contains extra capacity for more IP addresses. However, United States is behind the Europe, China and other countries in the process of adopting this latest protocol.

Administrator of the U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration, Lawrence Strickling said, “We now face an exhaustion of IPv4 addresses,” at a meeting of government and industry stakeholders.

Further, he recommended the dealers to integrate and deploy IPv6 extensively and he also said that providentially, IPv6 will support 340 trillion trillion trillion IP addresses.

However, the transition of IPv6 may not be easy, as it costs a large amount of money. In addition, this new technology may not work with the current technology that has been applied by the businesses.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Chief Information Officer, Vivek Kundra issued a command to all U.S. government agencies to upgrade their servers and services, including websites and e-mails with IPv6 by the end of fiscal 2012.

Besides, the memorandum also recommended the government agencies to upgrade the internal applications that use internet servers with IPv6 and also build up enterprise networks that conform to IPv6 by the end of fiscal 2014.

Representatives of Google, Comcast and Verizon also participated in the meeting and explained their concerns.

However, they said that things should move forward in an efficient manner, in order to avoid the delays of service providing to the customers.

According to the latest statistics, 94.5 percent of IP addresses for IPv4 have already been used by the customers and the remaining 5.5 percent IP addresses will be distributed among the Regional Internet Registries, by next summer.

President and Chief Executive of the American Registry for Internet Numbers and also one of five regional registries, John Curran stated that there will not be any addresses left in their register to issue them to the internet service providers by the end of 2011.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)

Previous post:

Next post: