Living in a democratic country with an entrenched judicial system is no doubt an opportunity, to use the courts to attain justice. However, there is a major negative aspect that can make most of us shake our heads. Look at some of these odd cases and see how some folks just go to court about things:
All Toys are not equal
A Hooter’s waitress in Florida named Jodee Berry when won the restaurant’s sales contest thought she’d just won the new Toyota, the new Toyota that her bosses said the champion would get. But actually the prize was a toy Yoda, not a Toyota. After that she left the job and took legal action against the franchisee for breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation. The force was with Berry and allowed her to pick out any Toyota car she wanted after the out-of-court settlement in May 2002.
Fingered as a scam
Ann Ayala filed a claim against a Wendy’s franchise owner declaring that she had found a fingertip in a bowl of chili in March 2005. No evidence was found of missing fingers at the accused restaurant when authorities checked. Later reporters discovered that several companies had been accused for misconduct by Ayala previously.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
In July 2004, door knocking apparently scared Wanita Young when two teenage girls in her neighborhood knocked to deliver baked cookies. Wanita young went to hospital because of anxiety attack. So she sued the girl’s families. Although $900 was awarded for medical expenses to Young by the local judge but he denied her demand for nearly $3,000 in itemized expenses, counting lost wages and new motion-sensor lights for her terrace.
Bubbles are not always Fun
A prankster creates a mountain of bubbles by dumping detergent into a public park fountain in Duluth, Minnesota in July 7, 2001. A passerby Kathy Kelly fell down and suffered several injuries due to this and a result she sued the city as it had not cleaned up the bubbles on that morning. She went to court because the city had not posted warnings to citizens advising them not to walk through the slippery wall of bubbles. The city was founded 70 percent responsible for Kelly’s injuries in March 2004. She was thus awarded $125,000, leaving her with only 30 percent of the blame.
School responsible for bad break up
A New York court in February 2004, ordered a school district to pay a former student $375,000 when his two-year affair with a school secretary broken. The break-up brought “emotional and psychological trauma,” ruining his career, the young basketball star claimed. The jury found the school guilty for failing to supervise the secretary properly and even though the secretary had not been named in the lawsuit, the jury ordered her to pay the student another $375,000.
Trespass at the owner’s risk
A jury awarded more than $24 million in October 2006, to two young men who were severely burned when an electrical wire above their car electrocutes them in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 2002. According to the jury, the 17-year-old boys bore no responsibility and the blame fell entirely on Amtrak and Norfolk Southern for failing to post signs warning of the danger from the electrified wires that power locomotives. One boy received $17.3 million and the other $6.8 million for medical costs, pain and suffering.
Sue the pants off them
Roy Pearson, a Washington, D.C. judge, sued a small mom-and-pop dry cleaner for $54 million for misplacing his pants in 2005. Moreover he refused to take the returned pants a week later from shop owners, Jin and Soo Chung saying they were not his $800 trousers but a cheap imitation. He claims that the store’s signs, which read “Satisfaction Guaranteed” and “Same Day Service,” were fraudulent and sued the Chungs and their son $1,500 each, per day for more than a year. However, a judge ordered Pearson to pay the couple’s court costs, and possibly their attorney fees in 2007, when this judge ruled in favor of the Chungs.
Spilling the coffee
Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque burned her lap severely and got hospitalized for a week after spilling a cup of the restaurant’s coffee. She sued McDonald’s in 1992 and two years later get $160,000 in direct damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages, which a court later reduced to $480,000. Both parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount later and surely enough for Stella to buy McDonald’s coffee for the rest of her life.