Guide: Unemployment Compensation

by on February 22, 2011

You can be eligible for unemployment insurance or compensation if you have been sacked from your job. In the United States, employees who are terminated by a company or organization without any valid reason are authorized to receive unemployment compensation for 26 weeks after losing the job. This duration can be increased if the employment rate at that point of time is high. But there is certain criterion to avail unemployment compensation: you are eligible only if you worked for a particular period of time.

Unemployment Compensation Eligibility

This unemployment compensation is considered to be an income by the Internal Revenue Service, therefore, it is taxable. Different states have different tax percentage, which is deducted from the compensation amount. You will receive this temporary compensation only after you fulfill the criteria set by the State Unemployment Office. Mostly, the compensation received will be half of your earning. All states have different maximum amount of compensation, like in New York the maximum amount that can be collected is $450, Arizona has a maximum limit of $205, California offers the maximum amount of $450 and the average weekly unemployment for all states is calculated to be $293.

Filing for Unemployment

Ensure that you file for the unemployment compensation as soon as you are out of job, as it takes time to get approved and to receive your check. If you want to receive the compensation, then apply for it as early as possible.

Unemployment compensation can be filed at the State Unemployment Office or State Department of Labor Office. From there, you can acquire all the details about the procedure of filing. There is also an option available in a few states where you can file your request over the phone or online. The filing for the unemployment compensation will need the following information: Social Security Number, Alien Registration Card for non-US citizens, address and zip code, contact number. You will also be asked to present the name and addresses of the past employers and the details of your work period there.

Qualifying for Unemployment Compensation

There is a set criterion that you have to meet to avail the unemployment compensation. And in case you fail to fulfill those, you will be disqualified. The reasons which are not entertained for acquiring an unemployment compensation are as follows: If you have quit without a valid reason, were fired due to misconduct, quit due to health reasons, left for marriage or due to self-employment, were into labor dispute and attending college. Discuss with the unemployment officer whether you are eligible for filing or not.

If you Quit

If you quit your job without a valid reason, then you may not be able to receive the unemployment compensation. The cause validation is determined by the State Unemployment Office. You can make a case where you can state the reasons behind your claim for the compensation. But you are eligible to submit a plea only if your claim has been rejected.

Register with State Job Service

When you are on unemployment compensation, it is mandatory to register with state job services as it is compulsory to look out for jobs while collecting compensation. The job service will guide you and will provide you with career counseling, resume and cover letter writing help and training for the job.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)

Previous post:

Next post: